Monday, February 13, 2012

Red dress - DONE!

I finished the red satin dress I was making for the "Red Dress Contest" on I used the New Look #6723 which I've made before. The difference is, this time, I actually made it the way the instructions say. I didn't add anything (pockets) like I did the first time. I made View B in size 16 with no alterations. I used a crepe-back satin for the dress and a light-weight cotton blend for the bodice lining.  
I'm really pleased with the way the dress turned out, and I finished it during the time frame I wanted. This is a very easy pattern to make. My previous dress from this pattern was much more casual. So now one of my sewing goals is about to be complete, and that is to enter a contest. Now I have to figure out what my next project will be.

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Almost done...!

Here is the dress I'm making for the "red dress" contest. It's a New Look pattern I've used before (6723), but last time I made a much more casual version. This is red crepe-back satin I've had in my fabric stash for some time. My goal is to finish this weekend. Basically, I only have the hem left to do.

The dress is pretty easy, but I had more trouble trying to find a belt buckle that I liked. I've been looking for 2 weeks and finally saw something yesterday. Who knew I would have had so much trouble trying to find something so simple?

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Started the red dress and new pattern purchase

Well I've started the red dress for the "Little Red Dress" contest on I'm using a red crepe-back satin that I've had for a few years. I'll be making a dress that I've made before, but in cotton for a much more casual style. And if all goes well, I might have more than one entry. I have another 3 yards of a red suiting material that I might as well use for something but we'll see how my time goes.

Also, I've been inspired by some of the things I've seen online to start thinking spring. So I purchased a couple of patterns for outfits I hope to make sooner than later. Both are New Look patterns. The dress and tote is 6095. The top is 6105.

All I need now is some warm weather!

Friday, February 3, 2012

McCall's 6208 Cardigan

So I have just completed the last project I plan to do before I start my red dress contest entry. This pattern is a cardigan with various options (sleeves, sleeveless, pockets, no pockets, etc.). I made a variation of one of the options. I combined View E (long sleeves without pockets) with View D (sleeveless with pockets) to make mine.
This is something quick to make (although I did have some trouble with the neck). I used a sweat shirt material that I've had for a while. I'm still working on ridding myself of a good bit of the fabric I have at home. This pattern is for stretch knits and the fabric I used probably doesn't fall into that category, but it worked out well and it serves my purpose. I made this in a medium.